Hollister Happenings

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Registered Nurse

After nearly five years of school I have finally graduated from nursing school. Last week I took and passed the national boards which means I am a licensed nurse in the state of Washington.

Now it's time to get a job. People often ask me what type of nurse I want to be. The easy answer is "labor and delivery." I went into nursing school believing that labor and delivery was the reason that I was there and I really enjoyed the time that I spent as a student on that unit but honestly I would like to try some other types of nursing. There are such a wide variety of things that a nurse can do and I want to take advantage of some different opportunities. Unfortunately the economy in this area has made it difficult to get a nursing job and so I really can't be very selective. I will probably just take what I can get initially. Once I have some experience then I will be able to be more selective about what I want to do. I am eager to find an opportunity to get the experience that I need and that's no easy task. I have found it very difficult to convey who I am with a one page resume and an online application. On paper I don't look that great. I haven't had a full time job for fifteen years and I have never worked in the medical field. I know that I will be a good nurse and that the right job will come along so until then I will continue to enjoy my time off by organizing closets, drawers and bedrooms and doing some home improvement projects.

2 Comments:

  • Congrats to you! That is a huge accomplishment. It seems like yesterday that we were paired up in a Hood to Coast van and you were talking about going to school.....and just like that....you DID it. Hats off to you!

    By Blogger Kristi, At January 24, 2011 at 7:42 AM  

  • Congratulations Danieal! I'd want you to be my nurse anytime. :) I'm sure you'll be amazing wherever you end up.

    By Blogger Marissa, At January 27, 2011 at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home